Orange Romania pursues its convergence ambitions by finalizing the acquisition of a majority stake of 54% in the fixed operator Telekom Romania Communications

Press release
Paris, September 30, 2021


Orange Romania advances its ambitions of convergence as it ends thiss acquisition of a majority stake of 54% in the fixed operator Telekom Romania Communications

Orange announces today that it has completed the acquisition of a majority stake in the fixed operator, Telekom Romania Communications (TKR). The conclusion of this transaction will give Orange Romania a majority stake of 54% in one of the main fixed telecommunications operators in Romania, the remaining 46% being retained by the Romanian state. Orange has obtained the approval of the competent authorities to enable it to carry out the transaction at enterprise value as previously declared of 497 million euros, based on 100% of TKR and its convergent customers. This corresponds to an equity counterpart of € 296 million *.

This successful transaction now heralds the acceleration of Orange’s strategy to be the preferred convergent service provider in Romania, with a firm commitment from Orange to continue investing in the Romanian telecommunications sector. Through this acquisition, Orange, as the leading mobile operator in Romania and now with the combined strength of TKR’s fixed network, will create a fully fixed and mobile converged operator in the Consumer, Business and ICT markets **.

TKR is the second largest player in fixed telecommunications in Romania with a turnover of 633 million euros in 2020. Through its owned network infrastructure, TKR provides fixed voice, broadband and pay TV services to around five million customers and its fiber network of around 90,000 km connects nearly three million homes. It also provides convergent services to nearly 916,000 convergent fixed-mobile subscribers, as of June 30, 2021 via an MVNO contract with Telekom Romania Mobile. These customers will soon be migrated to the Orange Romania network, once the transaction is finalized.

The two companies will continue to operate as two separate legal entities. Liudmila Climoc will continue her responsibilities as CEO of Orange Romania. Today, TKR’s Board of Directors appointed Mr. Andrei Popovici as CEO of TKR.

Mari-Noëlle Jégo-Laveissière, Deputy Managing Director, in charge of Orange in Europe, declared: “Today is a milestone day for Orange because this acquisition will propel Orange Romania forward in its ambitions of convergence. Convergence is the key to our growth across Europe, and Romania is a key element of the Group’s European success story.

Liudmila Climoc, CEO of Orange Romania, said: “We are living at a watershed moment not only for Orange, but for the entire telecommunications market in Romania. I am very proud that the Orange Romania and TKR teams have reached this stage. We are now moving forward together, as a joint force and with a common goal – to be the first choice for converged services in Romania. Together, we will build a complete offer for our customers with extended fixed coverage, Orange mobile services, including extended 5G coverage, more varied TV content and ICT solutions that support the digital transformation of businesses and public administrations.

* This corresponds to a purchase price of € 268m, on a debt and cash-free basis
** ICT – Information and Communication Technologies

About Orange
Orange is one of the main telecommunications operators in the world with a turnover of 42.3 billion euros in 2020 and 139,000
employees at June 30, 2021, including 80,000 in France. The Group has a total customer base of 263 million customers
as of June 30, 2021, including 218 million mobile customers and 22 million fixed broadband customers. The Group is present
in 26 countries. Orange is also one of the world’s leading providers of IT and telecommunications services to multinational companies,
under the Orange Business Services brand. In December 2019, the Group presented its new strategic plan “Engage 2025”,
which, guided by social and environmental responsibility, intends to reinvent its operator model. While accelerating growth
and by placing data and AI at the heart of its innovation model, the Group will be an attractive and responsible employer,
adapted to emerging professions.

Orange is listed on Euronext Paris (symbol ORA) and on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol ORAN).
To find out more (online and via your mobile), visit:, or to follow us on
Twitter: @orangegrouppr.
Orange and any other Orange product or service name included in this document are trademarks of Orange or the Orange brand.
Limited services.

Press contact
[email protected], +44 7818 848 848
[email protected], +33 6 78 91 35 11


Source link

About Kelly Choos

Kelly Choos

Check Also

Samoa – Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband

Australian Telstra confirms interest in acquiring Digicel Pacific operations Sydney, 07 Oct 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) …